Shooting my new Kammerlader (Kammerlader)

av PommyB @, Spokane, Washington, USA, onsdag 2. juli 2014, kl. 19:12 (1180 dager siden)

I apologise for posting this in English, but my Norwegian is extremely limited, & I wanted to share this with the folk who may not go to the English language section of the forum.
I finally found time to get my Kammerlader cleaned up & she's working beautifully now. The dark finish on the wood & metal appears to have been a coating of soot/grime, so I think the rifle may have spent some years in a smoky environment.
I decided on a bullet mould from Accurate Molds in Utah, it is quite close to the original in body shape, but has a small flat on the nose rather than a point & is also heavier than the original at 695gns. I haven't done a lot of experimenting with load combinations yet, but have found that 95gns of KIK 1.5Fg, a 1/4" 12g felt wad seated on the powder, & the above mentioned bullet fill the length of the chamber just nicely. The bullet diameter was a little loose in the chamber, so I correct that by using a brown paper disc as a 'sabot' & that is keeping the bullet nicely centered. For lube I am using a product available in North America called Udderly Smooth, which is a cream originally designed for cow's udders but is also sold as a hand cream/lotion. It does a great job of lubricating & keeps the BP fouling down to a minimum.
I was up in Alberta, Canada this past weekend for the annual Victorian Rifleman Shoot, organized through British Militaria Forums. I shot the Kammerlader at 100yds, prone without a sling. The group was off to the left, but most of the thirteen shots would have comfortably fit in the black of the B-17 target, so I was fairly pleased with the result.....just need to fine tune the sights a little more!
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on my loading technique, expected accuracy, etc.

Shooting my new Kammerlader

av arilar, onsdag 2. juli 2014, kl. 20:45 (1180 dager siden) @ PommyB

Thanks for posting! Seems like a lot of fun. That lube sounds interesting. Will see if I can find anything simílar here in Sweden. Had a Kammerlader like yours some years back but I let it slip back to Norway......;-) :-D
The Norwegian fellows will shortly give you more usual comments.
Regards,
ARILAR:-D

av Geir @, onsdag 2. juli 2014, kl. 22:24 (1180 dager siden) @ arilar

Great shooting,looks like a similar lubricant here in Norway might be something we Call "spenol" never tried it,but maybe someone else has,it's also cheap:-)

av PommyB @, Spokane, Washington, USA, torsdag 3. juli 2014, kl. 05:57 (1180 dager siden) @ Geir

Kruttlapen2, I just googled Spenol, & I think it might be similar. Here's a photo of the rear of the Udderly Smooth jar showing the ingredients;

[image]

A friend of mine in Canada introduced me to this product as a bullet lube about two or three years ago. He dips the nose of his .577/.450 M-H & .577 Snider bullets into the cream before chambering the cartridge, & it does a remarkable job of keeping the fouling soft & reduces leading. It is also quite inexpensive at less than $4 for a 12oz (340gm) jar.

Personlig bilde

av jæger justnæs @, Kristiansand, torsdag 3. juli 2014, kl. 09:15 (1180 dager siden) @ PommyB

Very nice field report, PommyB!
Some of us are keen BMF readers, you sure have some swell gatherings.
The load and loading procedure sounds fine. I guess the closest we get to Udderly Smooth is Pattesalve (Uddercream).
Try giving your rear sight a few light blows to the right, using a small hammer and wooden dowel. The sight base is clamped to the barrel with a screw underneath, retaining the "ring". This ought to get you in centre. Best of luck!

Regards, Tor

Personlig bilde

av proud.norwegian, onsdag 2. juli 2014, kl. 23:22 (1180 dager siden) @ PommyB

Please take a look at... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvRzIYyn_bc

It´s me ... using my two band "Kammerlader"

Personlig bilde

av Trond ⌂ @, Oslo (nov-mars) Brekkestø resten av året, torsdag 3. juli 2014, kl. 00:23 (1180 dager siden) @ proud.norwegian

That rifle is just way too nice to be used as a shooter! It seems to be a M1849/55/59, but I'm not able to see the origin of it. Is it Norwegian, German or Belgium?

--
Norwegian Military Small-arms 1604-WW2

Trond

av PommyB @, Spokane, Washington, USA, torsdag 3. juli 2014, kl. 01:37 (1180 dager siden) @ proud.norwegian
redigert av PommyB, torsdag 3. juli 2014, kl. 01:41

Proud Norwegian, I enjoyed the video, your loading technique looks similar to mine. Are you using a roundball? How much powder, & what granulation?

Trond, Not sure if you were referring to my rifle or Proud Norwegians'. Mine is a M.1849/55/59, & is from the German contract.

Personlig bilde

av proud.norwegian, torsdag 3. juli 2014, kl. 12:09 (1179 dager siden) @ PommyB
redigert av proud.norwegian, torsdag 3. juli 2014, kl. 12:26

Load: 90 grain Swiss No. 5 ( 1 FG ) topped with 45 grain Polenta corn filler - one card milk carton on top of load.
Using the preloading magnum shotgun containers, from Track of the Wolf. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/58/1
Under bullet;
One milk carton disk - made with a special tool - ending up like bottle cap - fitting as a sabot, perfect in chamber.
Bullet - either original norwegian - or a experimental round nose bullet.
Grease on top - as you use.
This load print high on 100 meters - hence the norwegians use a replacement sight adjusted to load - and bullet.
We are allowed to use this modification - as we also try to preserve our weapons for the next generation.
My weapon is a nice Hertzberg - cut down and modified at the Norwegian Arms factory.

av PommyB @, Spokane, Washington, USA, lørdag 5. juli 2014, kl. 18:00 (1177 dager siden) @ proud.norwegian

Proud Norwegian, I made an extension for my front sight. I was going to remove the original front sight altogether & make a taller replacement, but found that it was 'staked' in place. So I found some modeling clay & made an impression of the front sight by pressing the clay over it. I then melted some Cerrosafe (low melting point alloy for chamber casts, etc.) & pored it into the cavity, this made me a copy of the original blade which I then trimmed & filed to sit on top of the original & super-glued it in place.....the rifle now shoots to the sights (elevation-wise) at 100yds. The sight extension can be removed by applying a little heat to break the bond, so the original sight is undamaged.

Personlig bilde

av proud.norwegian, lørdag 5. juli 2014, kl. 20:06 (1177 dager siden) @ PommyB

The problem with foresight extension and the long 3 band is takedown for cleaning - using the replica sight is a neater solution.

Personlig bilde

av Trond ⌂ @, Oslo (nov-mars) Brekkestø resten av året, lørdag 5. juli 2014, kl. 22:25 (1177 dager siden) @ PommyB

I was referring to your Crause, Hertzberg kammerlader. You don't often find them withe that much of the beautiful brown staining left.

--
Norwegian Military Small-arms 1604-WW2

Trond

RSS på tråd